You will need to leave a total of about to complete the process: prep time, and for incubation, depending on your tartness preference. The yield for this recipe is 1 half gallon of yogurt.
- 1 Half gallon of milk (any fat % you like)
- 2-3 Tbs of plain yogurt (as a starter)
- 1 8-10 Qt stock pot
- 1 4-5 Qt pot with lid
- 1 Metal or plastic spoon
- 1 Dial thermometer with clip
- 1 Heating pad
- Create a double boiler using the two stock pots and bring the milk to 185°F, stirring to avoid a skin forming.
- Cool the milk to 110°F using a cold water bath, stirring to avoid a skin forming.
- Pour 2-3 Tbs of plain yogurt into 110°F milk and stir well.
- Cover and place on a heating pad undisturbed for 7 hours.
- Remove pot from heating pad and stir well.
- Refrigerate overnight to completely chill.
This is an extremely stripped down version of the process for people who wish to have all of the steps in one place. Please see the complete yogurt making tutorial if you would like more details, photos, etc.
Note: Your email address will not be shared with anyone. It's just to ensure that you are not a spammer.