Add Your Milk
If you do not have a set of pots that fit inside each other, you could heat the milk directly, but you will need to watch it and stir constantly. With the water jacket approach, you simply:
- Place the smaller pot into the larger pot of boiling water
- Carefully pour your milk into the smaller pot
- Clip your thermometer to the rim of the smaller pot
- The smaller pot is going to want to float when empty, so pour very slowly.
- Once all your milk is in, check to see that water level in larger pot and milk level in smaller pot are about the same. Too much water, and the pot will float, too little water, and you won't heat the milk evenly.
- Add or remove water if there is a big discrepancy.