Create a Water Jacket
While not required, this step will save you time, and ensure consistent results every time out. Further, it prevents you from scalding the milk, which will ruin your yogurt.
- Place larger pot in sink
- Place smaller pot inside it
- Fill larger pot until water line is about half way up the side of smaller pot
- The smaller pot is going to want to float on you. Hold it down with your hand while filling larger pot with water.
- Don't fill the larger pot more than half way up the side of the smaller pot.
- Have your milk and 2-3 Tbs of yogurt out at room temperature throughout the following steps.